You have heard lots about Google Firebase and how people from the web and mobile development backgrounds are using it, but what is precisely a Google Firebase? Let’s say that today you were to start crafting a full-stack web application from the beginning and something you wanted people to use it.
This would involve bringing together pretty vast knowledge of several different technologies, including Client-side and Server-side. You would need some must-do functionalities for a web application like user authentication, live chat, real-time database to save the data.
You also need to create and manage a large server, file storage system, and web hosting, and on and on and on. So many components and technologies are needed to create a real-time web application. But what if I told you that there is one single service that can solve all of these problems. To bundle all of our problems and try to resolve it in one go, we need FIREBASE!!
Firebase is a backend as a service(BaaS) platform acquired by Google for creating mobile and web applications. The Firebase is the flagship offering for app development from Google.
Firebase allows us to quickly build performant, reliable web applications without worrying too many technical details. It provides all the services we need to develop fast, secure, and extensive web applications with minimal cost.
Google Firebase services
Firebase provides several high profile services like,
- User authentication.
- Real-time database service, such as Firestore.
- Serverless functions are called cloud functions.
- File Storage is also called cloud storage.
- Web hosting or website hosting.
- Crash reporting
If you have previously worked with AWS, then you must be familiar with the services mentioned above.
For example, if you are working with storage services, then AWS provides an Amazon S3 storage solution, same as cloud storage for firebase.
For serverless functions, AWS provides AWS Lambda, and Firebase provides cloud functions, and so on.
Advantages of using Firebase
- Firebase is wholly developed on Google infrastructure and scales automatically for even the most extensive apps.
- Firebase products work great independently but share data and insights, so they work even better together.
- It is a comprehensive app development platform that can work with almost any other third-party software.
- Firebase can help you tackle commanding challenges, whether you’re an app developer, product manager, programming manager, or product manager. Firebase tools can work together extensively so that mobile teams can improve app performance while gaining valuable user insights. All the iOS and Android apps are using crashlytics to monitor the performance.
To access the Firebase console, you must have a Google account. If you have already signed-in to a Google account, then you might see the following screen if this is your first time.
From here, you can create a brand new firebase project.
If you scroll down your screen, then you will see that they also provide a demo project. Click on the project, and you will see the following screen.
On the lefthand sidebar, you can see the four menu items.
Now, if you click on the Develop menu item, then you can see that it contains many sub-items.
- Cloud Firestore
- Realtime Database
- Machine Learning
These are top-notch services provided by Firebase that can help you to build any kind of web application fast and secure.
If you click on the Quality menu-item, then you will see the following sub-items.
- App Distribution
If you are working with application development, then Crashlytics, Performance, and app distribution will be insightful for developers.
If you are a firebase app developer, then you need to extend your backend infrastructure, and there is no better option than using Firebase services. If you are a Google Cloud developer, and you want to develop a mobile (or web) application on top of your existing infrastructure in GCP.
That is it for Google Firebase and Firebase console introduction.