In today’s data-centric world, cloud computing has literally taken the world by storm. Cloud Computing includes Infrastructure as a service(IaaS), Platform as a Service(PaaS), Software as a Service(SaaS). Businesses nowadays are exploring innovative ways to grow and accomplish their business goals. With the help of cloud computing, these businesses will keep on growing in the future.
When it comes to cloud computing, there is one big(mammoth) company that is ruling the industry, and it is Amazon Web Services(AWS). According to Statista, AWS has a 33% market share in cloud computing in 2020, leading the cloud computing business. Followed by Microsoft Azure, which has 18%, and then Google cloud platform(GCP), which has only 9%. The Cloud computing business is proven to be immune to COVID-19. The pandemic has helped to highlight some of the main benefits of the public cloud.
Before comparing Google Cloud and AWS, let’s deep dive into each cloud service, its pros, and cons.
What is GCP
Google Cloud Platform is a suite of public cloud computing services. GCP offers over 50 services, including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS) offerings in the categories of computing, storage, networking, AI/Machine Learning platforms, big data, and the internet of things (IoT), cloud management, security, and developer tools. GCP offers application development and integration services such as Firebase.
GCP is outlined to be a user-friendly platform, with certain Google Cloud Platform certifications that can help you work more efficiently, demonstrate technical expertise, and boost your career. There are three primary steps to be certified in the Google cloud platform.
- Associate Certifications
- Professional Certifications
- G Suite Certification
Services of GCP
- Compute engine
- App Engine
- Container Engine
- Container Registry
- Cloud Functions
- Cloud Pub/Sub
- Google Cloud Virtual Network
- Cloud Load Balancing
- Cloud CDN
- Google Cloud Interconnect
- Cloud DNS
Storage and Databases
- Cloud Storage
- Cloud SQL
- Cloud Datastore
- Cloud Spanner
- Persistent Disk
AI and ML
- Cloud Machine Learning
- Cloud Vision API
- Cloud Speech API
- Natural Language API
- Translate API
- Big Query
- Cloud Dataflow
- Cloud Datalab
- Google Genomics
Advantages of GCP
- GCP has Private Global Fiber Network.
- GCP has Hybrid and Multicloud Play.
- GCP unequivocally stands apart from Azure and AWS for its AI and Machine Learning services.
- Google Cloud Storage is designed for 99.99% durability and has four different storage types: Coldline storage, nearline storage, regional storage, and multi-regional storage.
- Google Cloud Platform offers strong data privacy and security features.
Disadvantages of GCP
- GCP documentation is a mixed case. Some users recommend it as extensive because of hundreds of pages in total, and the API guide is very detailed. On the other hand, the documentation is incomplete in some other places.
- GCP, in some areas, does not innovate fast enough to keep up with AWS and other competitors, who are far ahead. The support fee is quite ample, and it will cost you around 150 USD per month for the most basic service, the Silver class.
- Google Cloud Platform has a complex pricing schema, similar to AWS, so it’s easy to get unexpected costs (e.g., number of requests, transfers…).
What is AWS
Amazon Web Services (AWS), the cloud platform offered by Amazon.com Inc (AMZN), has become a colossal component of the e-commerce giant’s business portfolio. AWS is a platform that provides flexible, trustworthy, scalable, easy-to-use, and cost-effective cloud computing solutions.
Amazon Web Services proposes a wide range of different business purposes for global cloud-based products. The products include storage, databases, analytics, networking, mobile, development tools, enterprise applications with a pay-as-you-go pricing model.
Services of AWS
- Amazon EC2
- Amazon EC2 Auto-Scaling
- Amazon Lightsail
- AWS Batch
- Amazon managed Blockchain
- Amazon Quantum Ledger Database
- Amazon Elastic Container Registry
- Amazon Elastic Container Service
- Amazon SageMaker
- Amazon Augmented AI
- Amazon CodeGuru
- Amazon Comprehend
- Amazon Aurora
- Amazon DynamoDB
- Amazon ElastiCache
Advantages of AWS
- Stop guessing capacity.
- Increase speed and agility.
- Trade capital expense for the variable expense.
- Go global in minutes.
- If you are careful, then it is very cost-effective.
- Safe-guarding your business from potential information leaks and the risk of hacks is of supreme significance for AWS.
Disadvantages of AWS
- The technical support fee is very high.
- Limitations of Amazon EC2.
- If you choose to work with AWS as your Cloud provider, be prepared to learn and invest in your team’s learning.
- General cloud computing issues.
GCP vs. AWS: Compare Pricing in 2022
The cost of a Google Cloud and AWS depends on the implementation of resources and services needed. To estimate and control your costs, you can leverage free tools provided by Google pricing calculator and AWS pricing calculator.
With Google Cloud’s pay-as-you-go pricing structure, you only pay for the services you use. No up-front fees. No termination charges. Create an account to evaluate how Google Cloud products perform in real-world scenarios. New customers get $300 in free credits to run, test, and deploy workloads.
- Free tier – inexpensive, burst performance (t3 family)
- General-purpose (m4/m5 family)
- Compute-optimized (c5 family)
- GPU instances (p3 family)
- FPGA instances (f1 family)
- Memory-optimized (x1, r5 family)
- Storage optimized (i3, d2, h1 family)
- Free tier – inexpensive, burst performance (f1/g1 family)
- Standard, shared core (n1-standard family)
- High memory (n1-highmem family)
- High CPU (n1-highCPU family)
GCP vs AWS: Compute Power
Google Compute Engine and AWS EC2 handle their virtual machines (instances). The technology behind Google Cloud’s Virtual Machines is KVM, whereas the technology behind AWS EC2 VMs is Xen. Both offer a different type of predefined instance configurations with specific amounts of virtual CPU, RAM, and network.
|Machine Type||Google Cloud Platform||AWS|
|t2.nano – t3.2xlarge|
|Standard||n1-standard-1 – n1-standard-96||m3.medium – m3.2xlarge|
m4.large – m4.16xlarge
m5.large – m5d.24xlarge
|High CPU||n1-highcpu-2 – n1-highcpu-96||c4.large – c4.8xlarge|
c5.large – c5d.18xlarge
|GPU||You can add GPUs to machine types.||p3.2xlarge – p3.16xlarge|
p2.xlarge – p2.16xlarge
g3.4xlarge – g3.16xlarge
f1.2xlarge – f1.16xlarge
|SSD||n1-standard-1 – n1-standard-32|
n1-highmem-2 – n1-highmem-32
n1-highcpu-2 – n1-highcpu-32
|h1.2xlarge – h1.16xlarge|
i3.large – i3.metal
GCP vs AWS: Block Storage
Block storage is essentially virtual disk volume used in conjunction with cloud-based virtual machines. Google Compute Engine offers resolute disks, whereas AWS EC2 offers this via their Elastic Block Store (EBS).
|Block Storage||Google Cloud Platform||AWS|
|Service||SSD||General and Provisioned IOPS SSD|
|Volume Sizes||1 GB to 64 TB||1 GB to 16 TB|
4GB to 16 TB Provisioned IOPS
|Snapshot Redundancy||Multiple locations||Multiple locations|
GCP vs AWS: Object Storage
Object storage, also known as distributed object storage, are essentially hosted services for storing and accessing large numbers of binary objects or blobs.
|Object Storage||Google Cloud Platform||AWS|
|Service||Google Cloud Storage||Amazon S3|
|Hot||GCS Nearline||S3 Standard|
|Size Limit||5 TB/object||5 TB/object|
GCP vs AWS: Comparison Table 2022
|Google Cloud Platform||AWS|
|Pricing||Per-minute basis||Per hour basis|
|Available zones||Available in 20 different zones.||Available in 21 different zones.|
|Big Customers||Paypal, Target, HSBC, Bloomberg||Netflix, Twitch, Facebook, BBC|
|Main Service||Google’s primary service is a compute engine.||Amazon Elastic Cloud (EC2)|
|Cost||It depends on the usage, but low compare to AWS.||It depends on the services you are using, but the price is high compare to GCP.|
|Object Storing||Google Cloud Storage||Amazon Simple Storage Services, also called (AWS S3)|
|File storage||Cloud Filestore||Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS)|
|Hybrid support||GCP relies on partners such as Egnyte for Hybrid support.||AWS Storage Gateway offers managed virtual tape infrastructure for a hybrid environment.|
|Disaster Recovery Management||Offers out-of-the-box DR or backup services.||Offers cloud-based disaster recovery services.|
|Backup||GCP has its own built-in infrastructure to store the backup files.||Amazon S3 is used for secondary backup storage.|
|Serverless computing||Google Cloud Functions||AWS Lamba|
Google Cloud Platform and AWS are both the best cloud platforms. Before deciding, you should understand what type of feature your organization requires and how much you want to pay for them. Both AWS and GCP are providing some specialized services in their domains so if your requirement is specific to that domain, then use that services.
AWS is known for its S3 and EC2 solutions; GCP is used for real-time platforms like Firebase, Google Cloud Functions, and Machine Learning services. Based on your specific needs, choose your platform and make sure that you track your expenses correctly; otherwise, you will get unexpected results in billings.